OPENING TO THE NATURAL BREATH

Natural breathing sometimes refers to as “embryonic” or “belly” breathing in Qi Gong texts is the foundation for good health. However, this terminology has led to a great deal of misunderstanding. Correct breathing actually involves the use of our core muscles which enables the natural full functioning of the diaphragm.

Early in our lives we lose this natural ability through contraction, tension and reaction to stress. Our breath is increasingly restricted to the upper chest. Our body/mind forgets how to be open and natural.

However, the greatest mistake we can make is to wilfully impose complicated breathing techniques on top of already bad habits.

Most adults need some help in “retraining” the core muscles to work efficiently so that the body can “remembers” how to breathe naturally. In the process the “core” strengthens and energizes.

 

SELF-MASSAGE & ACUPRESSURE FOR HEALTH

These are a vital part of traditional Chinese medicine with its emphasis on self-responsibility, prevention and wholistic approach to health care.

In traditional villages in China the physician was considered something of a failure if the villagers became ill. Consequently they were educators and role-models teaching wise life-style habits.

In this course you will learn the most important acupuncture points as well as self-massage and Qi Gong practices for energy and health.

 

RELAXATION

The “Art of Letting Go”. There is a variety of simple, practical ways we can learn how to “let go” in mind and body. This involves a move out of the “flight/fight” side of our nervous system which pumps us full of stress chemistry to the side which calms us down into repair and recuperation mode.

Achieving a balance between stimulation and relaxation is vital to our long-term health and productivity.

 

MEDITATION

The life-long inner journey into greater self-awareness and the “Who am I?” question.

This is not the same as relaxation though meditation may leave you feeling more centred and relaxed. Central to “Mindfulness Meditation are:

  • cultivation of alert mind and relaxed body
  • more mindfulness in everyday activity
  • increasingly rich “present-moment” awareness
  • greater awareness of our habitual thought patterns

 

SELF CARE FOR YOUR BACK

Learn safe, practical ways to strengthen your back and regain suppleness. A good therapist can do 30% of the treatment work for us….the other 70% is up to us.

This seminar covers exercises for various levels:

  • stretches and strengtheners for low back and abdomen
  • effective methods to release muscle tension (includes use of a roller)
  • set of daily maintenance exercises of various levels of fitness
  • qi gong practices to energise the abdomen and lumbar area
  • practical suggestions for continuing self care